Support for children with English as an Additional Language (EAL)
How do we support children with EAL at Julian’s?
- Admission: we gather information about the child’s background, school, family – this supports our understanding of children’s needs.
- Induction: a bespoke Julian’s welcome pack is given to the children, a class buddy allocated to support with first days at school
- Assessment: in week three assessment with all new to English (Stage A and B) Bell Foundation assessment used, assessment repeated termly to measure progress and to inform the level of English and support needs.
- In-class: use of a computer software which uses pictures alongside words for instructions, use of EAL toolkit, scaffolding strategies
- English Club: an intervention for children who are new to English or at the beginners’ stage
Useful links and websites for supporting children with EAL: