Please email your After School Club choices to Polly at Streatham and Kerry at West Norwood.
Julian’s Primary School has a Learning Mentor as well as a Behavioural Mentor who work closely with the Headteacher and teaching staff to support pupils and their families in removing emotional barriers to learning.
The issues which may get in the way of learning include:
- Low self-confidence/self-esteem
- Poor study/organizational skills
- Anger/behavioural difficulties
Mentors develop a professional 1-1 supportive relationship with pupils and also work in group settings, with a focus on social skills.
The work of a mentor includes:
- Identifying difficulties which may prevent a pupil from reaching their full potential
- Agreeing targets for attendance, academic and behaviour
- Helping pupils with study skills, organizational and timekeeping skills
- Developing anti-bullying strategies
- Developing personal skills to improve self-confidence, self-esteem, and resilience
- Offering emotional support, encouragement and motivation
- Supporting children with transition
- Helping pupils to modify their behaviours using techniques such as anger management
- Working closely with teachers, external services, pupils and their families
- Running clubs for pupils and their parents or carers
- Developing action plans and monitoring children's progress
- Delivery of P.S.H.C.E curriculum through Circle Time
Pupils can be referred by staff and the Headteacher. The pupils and parents/carers can talk to the mentors if they have any concerns directly linked to their emotional wellbeing.
Kerry, Polly and Charlene